Warm up on a cool evening with this delicious chili dish that is full of fiber, and low in sodium.
Serves 6 | Serving Size 1 1/3 cups
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 1 medium or large onion, chopped
- 20 ounces ground skinless turkey breast
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced OR 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 4 medium green onions (green part only), sliced
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chopped onion for 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Stir in the turkey. Cook for 5 minutes, or until browned, stirring frequently to turn and break up the turkey.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, pepper, and cumin. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the green onions. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until heated through, stirring frequently. Just before serving, sprinkle with the green onions.
Recipe source: American Heart Association