Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
This healthy version of the classic side dish uses olive oil instead of butter to add flavor and richness.
4 Servings | Serving size: 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved or cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Put the potatoes, garlic, and salt in a large saucepan. Pour in enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a colander. Drain well. Return them to the pan.
- Using the tines of a fork, mash the potatoes and garlic, being sure to crush each piece of potato and each garlic clove.
- Add the green onions, oil, and pepper, stirring until well combined.
Source: American Heart Association