Your ZIP Code spans multiple counties.
Beef and Rice Casserole
This delicious beef and rice dish, made with cabbage and black-eyed peas, works as an easy dinner year-round
- 6 cups shredded cabbage – or you can save time by using 1 14-ounce package of coleslaw mix
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 14 ounces fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
- 1 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained (black-eyed peas can be substituted with any type of beans)
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large, oven-proof pot, layer the cabbage, rice, beef, and tomatoes and green chiles. Pour the beef broth over all.
- Cook, covered with aluminum foil or a lid, for 1 hour and 40 minutes, stirring after 40 minutes. Continue cooking, covered, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the black-eyed peas. Season with the pepper.
Recipe source: American Heart Association